TEXT: 1COR. 9:24-25RUNNING THE RACE
- SUCCESSFULLY TO THE END FOUR THINGS ARE REQUIRED
- Total commitment to the task
- Great self-denial
- Discipline in preparation
- Diligent in participation in the event itself
In 1 Cor. 9:26-27 and 2 Tim. 2:4-5 Paul the apostle left a true example of how one should run the race of Christian living.
Let us learn from these two examples
EXAMPLE 1: PRESIDENT MUHAMODU BUHARI
He was once a head of state under the military regime, not quiet long he was over thrown by another set of military men. When Nigeria changed to democracy, Buhari contested for president 3 times, he lost the three elections, yet he did not stop, but still continue fighting for the post with courage, not even looking at all the challenges that might come from different angles which might stop him not to go further. Above all years, in the year 2015 Buhari won the presidential election.
Brethren many are things are to be learned from this man even though he is not a Christian, in order to help to run our Christian race to the end.
EXAMPLE 2: THE CHILDREN OF ISREAL CALLED THE JEWS.
In Gen.13:15, God promised their fathers the land of Cannan and He fulfilled the promise on their children. Jos.21:43-44. From Abraham to Isaac to Jacob who begat the twelve tribe of Israel, they became Nation of Israel
- CANAAN JOURNEY
In Exo.1:1-5 : They started the journey with seventy souls which came down to Egypt.
In Egypt the children of Israel have increase in numbers when the Egyptians suffered them, God took them out with powerful hands through Moses.
In Num.12:37 – all men who went out from Egypt were 600,000, without counting the women and children.
In Num. 1:45-47 – When they reach the wilderness of Sinai the Israelite were increased more in numbers – they were 603,550 men only from (20yrs) upward – those who can go to war.
Out of the number of people mentioned above – how many people reach the land of Cannan? – Only (two 2 men) – Num. 32:11
They decide to go back to Egypt – Num. 14:1-14 – (Likewise many Christian today have gone back to the world (why?), Because they LOVE This present world like DEMAS -2 Tim. 4:10 more than this heavenly home. What is God’s response towards the attitude at the Children of Israel? – Num. 14:26-30, 1 Cor. 10:5-10.
What happened to the children of Israel – the Bible makes it a great warning for the Christians – 1 Cor. 10:11-12.
Two things need to be considered and take note of here
- God spoke to them collectively through –moses
- They all listened and heard God instruction from moses
Did they all believed God s word’-NO
Did they all obey Gods instruction’ -NO
Only Caleb and Joshua kept to God‘s instructions, others did not – they were all destroyed in the wilderness. This should be a great lesson for us – Rom.3:3, Hed.3;12
- GOD PROMISE US ESTERNAL LIFE THROUGH CHRIST
Jn.17:23, 1Jn. 2:24-25, Heb.5:9- Jesus is the source of our eternal salvation to obtain the eternal life, you need to meet up with the condition lay down by Christ himself –Jn.6; 44-45.
- Hear the gospel – Rom.10:17
- Believe the gospel -11:6, Jn. 8:24
- Repent from sin – l king13;3, Act 17;30
- Confess your faith – Matt.10:32, Act 8:37,Rom.10:8-10
- Be Baptized – (immersion) Mk.16:15-16, Act.2:38, Jn.5:24, l Jn.5:3
- CAN ONE RECEIVE THE CROWN WITHOUT CHALLENGES?
NO, your faith must be tried – Example at worldly kings.
He will be tried in a place call – IPEBI-Before he would receive the crown.
- Jesus Himself was tried – Matt. 27:27-31, Phil. 2:7-10
- The Apostles were tried –Acts.5;40, Act.21;13. 2Cort. 11;23-33,2 Tim.4;6-8
- Christians must also be tried- Acts. 14;22, Phil.l;29,-lpt.4;15-16, Jas.1;12, Rev.2;10
CONCLUSION: Heb.4;1-3, 10;22-23,12;1-2
May God bless his word and give us the grace and ability to keep his word till the end of our life.